Working as a hygienist or therapist in the UK is a popular option for people from all over the world. However, if you would like to work as a hygienist or therapist in the UK, you will first need to obtain the following:
- Full registration to work as a hygienist or therapist with the General Dental Council (GDC). You can register by visiting the website at http://www.gdc-uk.org/.
- Professional Indemnity Insurance, which you can obtain by visiting the Dental Defence Union website at http://www.theddu.com/.
- An enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Check. These used to be known as Criminal Records Bureau (CRB) checks, but recently changed their name. This is a criminal record check that is required by various employers and licensing bodies in the UK. You can find out more details about this at the Gov.uk website by visiting https://www.gov.uk/disclosure-barring-service-check/overview.
- Hepatitis B and childhood illnesses immunity evidence. Make sure you bring evidence that you have received immunisation for all childhood illnesses because you will require this to work as a hygienist or therapist in the UK.
- Registered as self-employed with the Inland Revenue. Registering to be self- employed is a straightforward process that you can arrange by visiting the Gov.uk site at https://www.gov.uk/working-for-yourself/what-you-need-to-do.
The above are necessary requirements that you will need before you begin working as a hygienist or therapist in the UK. On top of these, we also recommend that you become a member of the British Society of Dental Hygiene & Therapy, which you can do by visiting the website at http://www.bsdht.org.uk/. This is not obligatory, but it is advisable.
Once you begin working as a hygienist or therapist in the UK, you will be required to undertake regular Continuing Professional Development (CPD) training. This ensures that your knowledge and skills are always up-to-date and that you are aware of the latest developments in the profession.
To help you to stay up-to-date with your training, Tempdent provides a large selection of CPD courses. These courses can be completed either in-house at your practice or at Tempdent's training centre.
If you have qualified overseas as a hygienist, you must have your qualifications verified by the GDC before you are able to start working in the UK. This is because the GDC must ensure that your qualification meets the standard necessary for full GDC registration.
You can find out more about this Process of Assessment by contacting the GDC at the details provided on its website at http://www.gdc-uk.org/.
Please feel free to contact us to discuss any details that you are unsure about. The most convenient option for you is to arrange a call back via our website. Simply click here to request a call back, and you will be asked to fill in your details.
If you would like to start your job search right now, please . We have a large selection of jobs to choose from, and you can browse them all on our website.